I’ve been thinking a bit aboutÂ the fact that not everyone on the street would get it when I say I am a ‘wholefoods blogger’. Â I usually get two reactions when I say this: *eyes glaze over* or “OMG I need you!”
What does it even mean to me to eat wholefoods?
This way of life has snuck up on me because the changes have been so damn gradual! Â Small Steppers know that I advocate forgiveness and self-love while we are on the path to changing habits of a lifetime. Â But after a little bit of thought – here is what it means to me:
- Most of the time I choose unrefined foods – as close to their natural state as possible
- Most of the time I resist processed foods
- I strive for balance
- My pantry it filled with glass jars that contain real ingredients that I make meals from
- I purchase those real ingredients in bulk to keep costs down via a co-op (search for one here)
- I purchase fresh produce from a farmers market direct from the grower
- I make our meals from scratch.
- I don’t stop my kids eating junk food at birthday parties, but I do try to steer them in the right direction and talk to them about what healthy choices are
- I drink beer and wine
- I purchase the best quality meat I can find and afford
- I eat whatever is put on my plate at friends or relatives houses
- I believe life is too short not to have fish and chips on the beach
- I like croissants on the weekend
- I remain curious and experimental with food
- I remain curious about the types of food that suit my body and that of my family – five individuals with their own particular needs and tastes.
- My jeans get tight in winter because I eat heavier foods. Â My weight fluctuates with the seasons and I’m cool with that. Â It can also fluctuate month to month. I don’t own scales I just eat real food.
- I eat lots of cooling summer fruits in winterÂ even though they are full of ‘sugar’
- I don’t believe in rules around food.
But mostly, it just means trying to eat foods that my body recognises as food. Â I think guilt is toxic and I try as much as possible not to let it linger when I accidentally buy some rocky roadâ€¦.. #fact
What does eating wholefoods mean to you?