I’ve been thinking a bit about the fact that not everyone on the street would get it when I say I am a ‘wholefoods blogger’. I usually get two reactions when I say this: *eyes glaze over* or “OMG I need you!”
What does it even mean to me to eat wholefoods?
This way of life has snuck up on me because the changes have been so damn gradual! Small Steppers know that I advocate forgiveness and self-love while we are on the path to changing habits of a lifetime. But after a little bit of thought – here is what it means to me:
- Most of the time I choose unrefined foods – as close to their natural state as possible
- Most of the time I resist processed foods
- I strive for balance
- My pantry it filled with glass jars that contain real ingredients that I make meals from
- I purchase those real ingredients in bulk to keep costs down via a co-op (search for one here)
- I purchase fresh produce from a farmers market direct from the grower
- I make our meals from scratch.
- I don’t stop my kids eating junk food at birthday parties, but I do try to steer them in the right direction and talk to them about what healthy choices are
- I drink beer and wine
- I purchase the best quality meat I can find and afford
- I eat whatever is put on my plate at friends or relatives houses
- I believe life is too short not to have fish and chips on the beach
- I like croissants on the weekend
- I remain curious and experimental with food
- I remain curious about the types of food that suit my body and that of my family – five individuals with their own particular needs and tastes.
- My jeans get tight in winter because I eat heavier foods. My weight fluctuates with the seasons and I’m cool with that. It can also fluctuate month to month. I don’t own scales I just eat real food.
- I eat lots of cooling summer fruits in winter even though they are full of ‘sugar’
- I don’t believe in rules around food.
But mostly, it just means trying to eat foods that my body recognises as food. I think guilt is toxic and I try as much as possible not to let it linger when I accidentally buy some rocky road….. #fact
What does eating wholefoods mean to you?