So Iâ€™ve pretty much created the simplest baked eggs in the world and my husband agrees it tastes totally cafe worthy â€“ not kidding.
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 3 pieces of good-quality bacon diced
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup passata tomato puree
- 1 heaped tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar ACV
- 1 tsp rapadura sugar (brown sugar if you donâ€™t have it)
- 1/2 tsp Good quality salt
- 4 eggs
- Avocado and feta (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Warm olive oil in a pan over moderate heat. Add onion, garlic and bacon and cook gently (donâ€™t burn the garlic!)
- Once cooked add tomatoes and passata. Get it bubbling away and then add salt, sugar, herbs and ACV.
- Let it reduce slightly (maybe four-five minutes on the stove) then transfer to an oven proof dish â€“ I used a square ceramic dish.
- Make little holes for the eggs, drop them in and pop in the oven for around 10-15 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Add avocado and feta over the top if you like â€“ you could add anything! Leftover chicken and haloumi would be amazing. Serve it on a bed of baby spinach and a side of crusty sourdough. Options are endlessâ€¦ Change herbs to change the flavour.
Enjoy, and post your favourite variations in the comments belowâ€¦
Share this Recipe